Shrewsbury Farmers Market, LLC
Rules and Regulations 2018
WE CAN, Inc. d.b.a Shrewsbury Farmers Market, (SFM) is comprised of volunteers acting in through the Steering Committee, newly created in 2014. SFM has entered into an agreement with the Town of Shrewsbury Parks and Recreation Department for use of the parking lot at the Shrewsbury Senior Center for the purpose of the market. The Town of Shrewsbury nor the Senior Center are involved with the management of the Shrewsbury Farmers Market, however a great synergy exists between our site location and the SFM; allowing our SFM Vendors and customers the use of the bathroom facilities and electricity. SFM seeks vendors of locally grown (within New England, preferably within 60 miles) and locally produced crops and products with a diverse mix of products.
- General Information
- The Senior Center is located at 98 Maple Ave in Shrewsbury, just to the right of the Town Hall.
- SFM will operate on Wednesday afternoons starting June 13 and ending September 26, 2018.
- There will be bathroom and hand washing facilities with the Senior Center, as well as access to running water.
- Vendors are required to abide by the Shrewsbury Plastic Bag By-Law. See flyer for details. Please encourage patrons to bring their own bag. Note that plastic bags used to separate produce are allowed per the by-law.
- SFM Application
All SFM Vendors must have a completed application along with the Seasonal or per diem fee for each market date for which they indicated on their application, check made payable to the Town of Shrewsbury.
- All fees are due upon submission of the market application. All fees are non-refundable once a Vendor is No stall is considered reserved until payment for it has been received in full by the SFM.
- For those with processed products and in need of BOH application. Please contact the Shrewsbury Board of Health at 508-841-8512.
- Each vendor is entitled to one space in the market to which they are assigned: 10 feet of frontage in which to display and sell. Many SFM Vendors will be allowed a parking space behind their assigned space, a few spots will not have parking.
- Each vendor must include a $25 refundable fee on top of their tent fee. The fee will be returned at the end of the season IF the vendor provides no less than 24 hours notice if they will be unable to attend that weeks market AND arrives to the market at least 30 minutes prior to the event.
- Inclement Weather
The SFM will be open every Wednesday rain or shine. Vendors are expected to attend every market that they commit to on their application form. In the event of an emergency that prevents your attendance, please call/text the contact number that will be provided for the SFM co-managers:
- 508-523-3463 508-284-7314
- Vendor Responsibilities
All SFM Vendors should act in a professional and responsible manner; disorderly, or threatening behavior at the market is prohibited. Smoking, open flames or drinking alcohol is also prohibited. Vendors may not bring any pets to the market.
- Any violation of any state or federal laws or applicable government regulation in connection with the production or marketing of the members’ produce or goods is prohibited.
- Loud yelling or hawking is not permitted; SFM Vendors must sell from inside their booth.
- Each vendor will be responsible for setting up, displaying, and packaging their goods and providing protection from the elements. The tent/canopy must be weighted down with approximately 30# weights per leg.
- Vendors are expected to have their assigned space in “broom clean” condition prior to leaving the market and remove all trash and organic materials.
- The Market Manager or designee may request a SFM Vendor to change a display if it is deemed unsafe.
- Market Operations
- The Market Manager or designee shall manage normal market operations including parking, collecting fees, scheduling, quality determination, enforcing rules and settle most disputes arising from problems or agreements. Major disputes will be addressed by the Steering Committee. Upon completion of the market for the season a report will be made to the Steering Committee.
- SFM Vendors can start set NO MORE THAN up 60 minutes prior to the start of the market. Late arriving Vendors may not be able to set up due to safety and traffic disruptions; late setups will be allowed at the discretion of the Market Manager. SFM Vendor must have a competed display 15 minutes prior to the start of market.
- There will be no selling permitted prior to the official opening time of the market, unless there is a unique circumstance and special permission has been granted by the Market Manager.
- Vendors may not break their displays down prior to end time beyond reasonable subtractions in order to maintain appealing display following sale of products. No vendor shall be allowed to leave the market prior to the end of the marked end time.
- Notification of a planned absence at a market should be made to the Market Manager by 8 am on the market day:
- Spaces at all markets shall be assigned on the basis of SFM application and space available. Market Manager or Steering Committee will determine the location of SFM Vendors’ tent locations.
- Spaces at the market will be determined by the following priorities and in this order:
- Returning members fill in the first spaces; new requests from returning members; new SFM Vendors, and nonprofits. The market management reserves the right to not accept any one member with just cause as determined by the market management.
- The Steering Committee reserves the right to add or remove vendors from the market as deemed necessary to enhance the vibrance and competition of the market vendors and product offerings.
- Spaces at the market will be determined by the following priorities and in this order:
- Vendor Acknowledgements
- All market rules will be enforced, and failure to comply can and may result in termination of a SFM Vendor’s market participation, which may include immediate vacating of the market The Vendor acknowledges and agrees that the SFM, its Steering Committee, and its agents, and volunteers, as well as the Town of Shrewsbury, shall have no liability for any incidental or consequential damages, loss of business, or otherwise for terminating this Contract.
- All authorized Vendors participating in the SFM 2018 season agree that they are independent operators, and not partners or participants in a joint venture, and shall be individually liable for any loss, personal injury, deaths, and/or any other damages that may occur as a result of the Vendor’s negligence or that its employees, agents, and All Vendors agree to indemnify and save the SFM, its Steering Committee, and its volunteers, members, and agents as well as the Town of Shrewsbury any of its agents, harmless from any loss, costs, damages, and other expenses, including attorney/s fees suffered or incurred by SFM by reasons of Vendor’s negligence or intentional misconduct of that of its employees, agents, and associates.
- Vendor agrees to save, hold harmless, and indemnify the SFM its Steering Committee and its volunteers, members, and agents as well as the Town of Shrewsbury, and any of its agents, from and against any and all liabilities, claims, demands, expenses, fines, penalties, suits, proceedings, actions, and causes of action of any and every kind and nature arising out of or in any way connected with the Vendor’s use of the premises, or any of the vendors activities in the market, or those of
- Vendor’s agents, contractors, employees, customers, and invitees while on or on the premises and/or the
- Vendor agrees that no individual member, volunteer, or agent of the SFM or its Steering Committee, as well as the Town of Shrewsbury, shall have any personal liability with respect to any of the provisions of this Under no circumstances shall a Vendor have a claim or cause of action against any individual member, agent, or volunteer of SFM or its Steering Committee, or the Town of Shrewsbury, any of its agents, with respect to any breach of this Contract by SFM, or for any injury or damage sustained by Vendor, its employees, contractors, agents, customers, or invitees arising out of or in connection with Vendor using and/or operating retail business on the premises or in the market. This provision shall inure to the benefit of the SFM, its successors and assigns, and their respective principals.
- The Vendor acknowledges and agrees that WE CAN, LLC has given SFM Vendor a revocable license, not a lease, to operate and to sell its farm products and produce at the Shrewsbury Farmer’s Market in accordance with the rules and regulations herein provided from June 13, 2018 to September 26, 2018. The Vendor, as licensee, has acquired no interest in SFM’s property or that of the Town of Shrewsbury. The Vendor’s license may be revoked at any time, with or without cause, by SFM in its sole discretion.